Streak for Cancer

Streak for Cancer

Monday 2 May 2011

A Mother's Day Made Special

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of meeting an amazing young man who entered Eros Hair Studio with his mom to get a streak put in his hair.  His name was Owen, and I was soon to learn what brought him in to get a streak in the first place.  Owen's aunts had come in to get a streak to support the Streak for Cancer Campaign, and when he learned about it, he was quick to react.  The week before he got a purple streak, went to school, and the way I figure, was suddenly a huge success with his classmates.  One week later, he stood before me telling me in a shy way that he was back for a second streak.  His mom explained how much the students at his school, "Central Public" were all rallying behind the campaign.  Owen left not with a second streak, but actually a third streak!


 In our brief conversation, Owen had a great impact on me.  Too young to be facing the realities of cancer and all the baggage that goes with it, he understood how cancer can affect a family.  His mom shared with me Owen's thoughts on making gift certificates available so his classmates could purchase a streak for their moms.  He said it's a great gift to give that kids can afford and moms would love to receive.

You know, great things come in small packages.  Owen and his classmates are real ambassadors to making a difference in our world.  I learned a lot from our encounter Owen, and I really just wanted to tell you this.  I can't thank you enough for making the suggestion, and because of you, lots of kids can make their Mother's Day for their moms, aunts, grandmothers and friends that more meaningful and special by purchasing a gift certificate in any of our 8 participating salons.  Streak for Cancer has already taught me a world of lessons, but this lesson came in a little package.

I'm taking my mom out tomorrow to get her second batch of streaks.  This time, it’s my treat.  Happy Mother's Day Mom, I love you!

It's Grayt2bme!

No comments:

Post a Comment